Monday, October 17, 2011

the Oneiric Ocelot is here

It's been a while since I blogged. I have been down with a bout of fever and catching up on my health. After I got back on the WWW, it was nice to hear that the latest version of Ubuntu is now out. It has this weird name - Oneiric Ocelot. I think Canonical is going overboard in trying to be unique in their naming conventions, to the point that not only are they unpronounceable, but they do not register in an average human's mind too. So much for all the marketing research that's been carried out till now.


11.10 sounds good enough.

I do not like the new interface. I have not tried it out yet, but one thing is certain. The dock looks downright ugly. It's too geometric and does not have any artistic elegance about it. It may be very utilitarian, but more later on it when I try it out some time this week.

Evolution is out. Thunderbird is in. LibreOffice looks nice. I will need to see the Gwibber client which comes instead of Pidgin. I think the changes are quite numerous.

The last time I tried installing it on older hardware it failed. And, then I turned towards Debian and have stuck with it since. I do not think Canonical wants Ubuntu to work with older hardware any more. I just hope they do not go the Windows way with higher memory footprints. The beauty about Linux was lean and thin. I hope to see that it stays that way.

2 comments:

  1. Onieric Ocelot is a matched pair of words, given how much cats are known to like to sleep...

    I've been using Thunderbird at work lately, and I think it stinks. Part of my programming deals with retrieving IMAP messages and processing them within our application, so I've been sending myself thousands and thousands of emails (not by hand!) and when I use the Thunderbird client it won't keep up with changes to the mailbox, incoming messages or when my program marks them as read, things like that...

    I'll have to get the latest Ubuntu and try it out on my PC. I think I need to juggle the partitions, though, before I can do a real, non wubi, install. I should just blow away Windows altogether, I never use...

    Anyway, I hope your fever goes away quickly...

    I'll be in Pune in two weeks, for a three week vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that. We should try to meet. If you do not want to break anything and try out the new Ubuntu you could use Virtualbox on windows. It works well. And it's free.

    ReplyDelete