Thursday, July 21, 2011

the human-android touch

A debate so long it left my wife disgusted at my indecisiveness. To buy or not to buy was the question. I have always been like that. A life spent too much in thought, weighing options and analysis. It boomerangs on you.

To the point, I almost gave up on buying my dream phone. The search began in earnest reviewing all the phones at physical stores, virtual stores, phone review sites. After one week of incessant research I finally narrowed it down to either a Blackberry or an Android based phone. With Nokia's decision to partner with the Redmond folks, that was definitely a big no-no. And I did not have the greens for an i-something. So, that pretty much narrowed my options.

What was I looking for in a mobile phone. Well, for starters, I wanted it to assist me in ways many - beyond telephonic conversation. In what ways you may ask? To list a few, I wanted it to show me where I stand (literally, not figuratively; for that I have....), I wanted to be able to relinquish my laptop for checking out Facebook or my email or read something over my Wifi connection. And, I wanted to be productive in my bus journey to office, so that it could allow me to plan ahead, read newspapers or books or blog feeds.

See, my needs are frugal.

To draw a long story short, I narrowed down to a wonderful piece of hardware - the Samsung Galaxy Fit, powered by the Android operating system version 2.2. Code Name Froyo (from Frozen Yoghurt I gather).

The moment of truth finally arrived. It was a unique event. Like the touch in the Creation of Adam, immortalized on the ceilings of the Sistine Chapel.

The Touch. My first ethereal experience with the Android.

The experience has been very surrealistic for me. An addiction that has reduced due to social compulsions. It has transformed me into a recluse. I eat, drink and live with my Android. Marveling at its innovation which now stands scathed by the litigation between Google and Oracle. My enthusiasm is viral. I have now a fan following eager to dump their antiquated devices in favor of an android.

I see a career in sales beckoning!

After the initial fascination faded, I reached out for more. The MarketPlace did not disappoint. Apps for everything. So, what do I now have on my Android? Here's the list:
  • Shuffle - a GTD tool from Google
  • TOI - The Times of India news reader
  • Pulse - a unique RSS feed reader
  • Aldiko - an ebook reader
  • Angry Birds - at last
  • Google gesture search - one of the best things that happened for the Android
And some other apps, which I would not consider as permanent members on my device. Later, I decided to reach the next level. I decided to change the Launcher and shifted to ADW which provided me opportunities to theme my phone. The result is terribly pleasing and I hope I should be able to upload the results some time. I still need to get hold of a screenshot application for the phone.

The Human-Android touch is complete. The Human has been Androidized!

1 comment:

  1. Cool, I'm glad you're enjoying your Android experience a lot more than I am mine... I guess I just got a not-exactly-best-of-breed device with my Adam tablet.

    The Android doesn't have a built-in screen shot program? On the iDevices it's just hold down the home button and press the power, then it puts a screen shot in your photo album. I discovered it by accident, I hit the combination and the screen kept flashing, like a camera flash bulb, then later when I went to import the photos I'd taken into the computer there were a bunch of screen shots, that's when I put 2 and 2 together...

    ReplyDelete